Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Wardrobe Steamer Trunk

Now, this is a HUGE project. Tons of details.

I'm wallowing again.

As I said earlier, this is a large trunk, designed to stand on end and open up, with space for hanging clothes on one side and drawers on the other. They run about 42 inches tall in real life.

I've decided to make a 1/3 doll sized one.

I made a lot of sketches and peered at ebay listings and pondered and looked for hinges and latches and so on.

I finally decided I needed to make a cardboard mock up so I could see the hinges and latches and trim on the 'real' thing (real at least in size).

So here's my butt-ugly mat-board version.


And here it is open



and here's where I drew on the hinges on the back


I ordered hinges and latches today, and will check the local hobby shop for other things I need, like plywood and dowels. A lot of the trim elements will come from paper-crafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment